Saturday, March 13, 2010

BBA - 100% (Dark) Rye Sourdough

ב''ה

I used dark rye instead of white since I did not want to buy new flour before Passover and already had a bag of dark rye.

First make an all rye starter from the regular one (which allready had a bit of rye in it.) Feed for three days to get it really going.



Make a firm starter the from the rye starter. and leave it for a day. Then add the flour and caraway seeds to it along with a soaker. I used an extra 1/2 cup of rye starter instead of the soaker since I ran out of flour. 




"I too messy!"





I learned from Joe pastry that different tasting microbes live in the firm starter than the wet one. At any rate the starters were rip-roaring and ready to go so this bread tasted the most sourdoughy yet of anything  I tried. I am not sure if it's because I used a firm starter or if it was just because my wet starter was not weak. At any rate it had a much more tangy flavor, much like I was trying to acheive with my sourdough  baguettes. I'll have to experiment with the different starters to achieve consistent results.





Pretty dense (but delicious.) Next time I'll spike it with some vital wheat gluten and some instant yeast.



Byby starter. :( I'll have to get rid of the starter that's sitting in my fridge before Passover. An exercise in humility, getting rid of all those things that puff (you or your bread) up!

2 comments:

  1. She is too cute! Bread sounds good. I wish Marie was doing a bread bake along but it would be like another full time job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ב''ה

    Indeed Vicki. All my bread baking has slowed down to a crawl with all the cake baking. That's O.K., it's really a great experience.

    ReplyDelete