Saturday, February 6, 2010

BBA - New York Sourdough (onion) Deli Rye Bread

ב''ה

If it were not for my friend bringing me this back from California I would have been too burnt out from all the cake-baking to attempt sourdough again (altough I have still been making Challah every week.) However, having grown up in northern California, I was hankering for some authentic sourdough and found inspiration.





The instructions say that after the first day you take out 1 cup of the starter and you can allready use it for bread (You make a baby starter from it first that sits another day.) I used a mix of high-gluten and rye flour to go with the starter. This was much better than waiting a week for BBA sourdough. Wow!

 First I tried making a bagutte but I was too impatient and did not give it enough time to rise. Sourdough bread takes much longer to rise than regular yeast. After baking it ended up getting these mottled brown spots on top. Boy was it good though. It did not give me that authentic S. Fran sourdough taste I was striving for but it sure tasted good. Crispy on the outside and creamy-soury on the inside.


Then for Shabbat lunch I made the Sourdough New York Deli Rye. I got some authentic style pastrami and deli mustard to make sandwiches with. The onions really gave it a kick too. Mmmm.





2 comments:

  1. I haven't had a good slice of sourdough for so long... almost don't remember what it tastes like.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. ב''ה

    ButterYum:
    I wonder what kind of sourdough the wild yeast in N. Virginia might make. :)

    ReplyDelete